Manitoba Hydro recognized an opportunity to improve the efficiency, consistency and transparency of its asset investment planning process. The Copperleaf® Decision Analytics Solution was initially implemented in the Generation Operations business unit in 2011, and was used to support the company’s rate application to the Public Utility Board in 2015. The ease and speed with which the Generation team was able to extract the necessary data to respond to questions asked during the rate hearings, led the company to embark on an initiative to expand use of the Copperleaf system and the Copperleaf Value Framework across the entire organization.
In 2017, the Copperleaf solution went live in the Transmission business unit, the Customer Service and Distribution (CS&D) business unit (both electric and gas), and the Information Technology Services (ITS) Division. Key benefits and improvements realized include:
- Robust framework for valuing investment decisions across the entire organization
- Streamlined investment approvals and process efficiencies
- Data consistency and integrity
- Fact-based decision making for project portfolio decisions
- Consistent assessment of risk